Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Five Poisonous Easter Plants

Do not nom dem flowers!
Easter iz comin and I wants all ma kitteh (and doggy furrends to be safe). I have made a list of the top 5 easter plants that are poisonous to cats (and dogs too). Please do not keep dem in your house dis Easter or any time)

Easter Lily (ALL Lilies)

Lilies are highly toxic to cats and can cause immediate kidney failure with only one leaf eaten. (Cats are more likely to be poisoned by the Easter Lily than dogs, but dogs and cats are both affected by all other lilies such as the Calla Lily and the Day Lily. It is best to just think of ALL Lilies as bad for animals.) Symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, excessive drinking and urination.


This flower is part of the lily family and can be highly poisonous. Symptoms include: Intense vomiting, diarrhea (occasionally with blood), depression and tremors.


The bulb of this flower is the most dangerous part, but any part of the plant can cause sever problems. Symptoms of ingestion are vomiting, salvation, and diarrhea. If a large amount is eaten it can cause convulsions, low blood pressure, tremors and cardiac arrhythmias.


Again this flower is in the same family as the lily and like the Daffodil the bulb has the highest amounts of toxins. Symptoms to watch for are vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and extreme or hypersalivation.

Easter Rose

This plant is also known as Hellebore, Christmas Rose, or Lenten Rose. It is not a rose at all rather a bushy stalk with pinkish white flowers. Symptoms of ingestion are drooling, abdominal pain, diarrhea, colic, and depression.

For a complete list of toxic plants please  see the ASPCA's list of Plants Toxic to cats, dogs and horses.


  1. Katie Cat3:58 PM

    The Girl is very careful not to bring any flowers or plants in to the house that are poisonous. I love to nom on plants, and I barf up even the non-toxic ones! Thanks for letting us know about all of the pretty blooming stuff!

  2. Thanks you Boris, this iz such an impawtant reminder. *purrr*

  3. No worries here. My mom is poisonous to plants coz she has a black thumb and kills them all so there not be any plants in this house fur us to nom on. Not like I would nom on plants anyways. Blech.

  4. Thank you so much for helping us all stay healthy and safe! *high paw* Mama learnt a thing or 2 - she only knew 1 out of the 5!! Eeek

  5. Thanks for the good info, Boris!

    Good to know that tulips are on this list...'cause I peed on the ones in my Grandma's yard last weekend! *evil snickers*